Wednesday, July 13, 2011

SIMPLE LEMON CAKE with a "twist"


I looked to my garden for inspiration & knew I had to do something with my beautiful Peonies. After doing a little research, I discovered that these edible petals were used as a garnish in lemonade. I thought, lemon cake would be close enough & I went to my trusted Martha Stewart site for a lemon cake recipe.


Peony (Paeonia lactiflora) - In China the fallen petals are parboiled and sweetened as a tea-time delicacy.  Peony water was used for drinking in the middle ages. Add peony petals to your summer salad or try floating in punches and lemonades.

I wanted to keep the look of the flower without using the center, so I tried {tried} to recreate the center with something that would be edible.

I sliced the lemon rind & mixed up some powered sugar and lemon juice.
My hope was that the sugar would harden & "hold-up" all of the lemon pieces to replicate the flower's center. {i didn't account for the natural oils in the peel that would continually keep the sugar moist. So, this was only mildly successful}


This was a simple Lemon Tea Cake. Dense and moist, not too sweet, with a strong lemon flavor.

Here is the MARTHA RECIPE:
Lemon Cake
This recipe was also featured on "Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn."
Martha Stewart Living, March 2008 http://www.marthastewart.com/255933/lemon-cake
2.5375
Rated
(24)24

No comments:

Post a Comment